Doctor Fate Vs. Rimuru Tempest
Doctor Fate (DC Comics):
Harnessing magical powers older than the beginning of human civilization, the being currently known as Doctor Fate has been defending the side of light since the days of ancient Egypt. Originally one of the ancient beings known as the Lords of Order named Nabu, he originally possessed a human host body, with which he became a mystical defender of humanity. As the centuries passed, the powers of Nabu were contained within a golden helmet, and the mortal chosen to wear it was given the name Doctor Fate. Doctor Fates magical prowess is unmatched by almost all other magic users on Earth, depending on who bears the mantle.
Powers & Abilities: Doctor Fate is one of the most powerful sorcerers on Earth, and is matched by almost no one in the art of casting spells. Among his innate mystical abilities, Fate has super strength, the ability to fly, mental powers like telekinesis and telepathy, and he can summon lightning and fire at will. His spells manifest as ancient Egyptian symbols, usually an ankh. Fate can travel through dimensions, turn invisible, and summon force fields to protect himself from harm. He’s used magic to time travel, and invisibility, necromancy, teleportation, phasing and astral projection are also among his many abilities. Fate’s biggest weakness is that once a spell has been cast against him, by the rules of magic he cannot make a counter spell.
Rimuru Tempest (Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken):
Rimuru Tempest, formerly known as Mikami Satoru, is the main protagonist of Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken. He is the founder and King of the Monster Country. Also known as the “Tempest of the Great Jura Forest,” he is regarded as one of the strongest Demon Lords amongst the Mighty Eight Star Demon Lords as well as the only known Great Demon Lord. He is also a partner and best friend of True Dragon Veldora Tempest. He is also known as Sensei to his former students.
Powers & Abilities:
Magic Power-Based Archive, High Spirit Summoning, High Demon Summoning, Dragon species magic.
Species Skill – Disintegration Absorption, Infinite Regeneration
Ultimate Skill – Wisdom King Raphael, Gluttonous King Beelzebub, Covenant King Uriel, Storm King Verudora, Puppeteer, Wisdom God Ciel, Void God Azatoth, Abundance king Shub-Niggurath
Daily Skill – Magic Perception, Heat Detection, Sound Detection, Super Sense of Smell, Demon Lord’s Haki, Universal sense, Universal transformation
Combat Skill – Sticky Steel Thread, Cloning, Chaos Breath, Law Manipulation, Attribute Change, Thought Domination, Demon Lord Mode/Transformation
Resistance: Physical Damage Nullification, Nature Effects Nullification, Status
Change Nullification, Spirit Attack Resistance, Holy Magic Attack Resistance
Mimicry: Demon, Spirit, Black Wolf, Black Snake, Centipede, Bat, Spider, Lizard, Goblin, Orc.
Predicted Winner: Doctor Fate
Dr. Strange Vs. Zatanna
Dr. Strange (Marvel):
Stephen Vincent Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth Dimension. Once a materialistic and greedy neurosurgeon, Strange’s medical career was left in pieces after a debilitating car accident which severely damaged the nerves of his hands and made him unable to ever conduct an operation again. Consumed by his own pride and self-pity, he started conducting several medical procedures on himself, many of which highly experimental, in a desperate attempt to return to his former glory, which all gave off no significant results and ultimately exhausted all of Strange’s fortune over the course of a few months, reducing him to nothing but a derelict roaming around New York’s streets. Eventually, Strange took notice of stories about a tibetan monk, going by the title of the Ancient One, which was rumored to possess magical powers capable of healing any disease. Being desperate enough to try anything in order to heal his hands, he traveled to the Tibet and met up with the Ancient One in a palace sitting upon isolated, icy mountains, and although haughty and filled with skepticism at first, Strange’s introduction to the world of the supernatural humbled his personality, and eventually sparkled him into becoming a disciple of the Ancient One, ultimately resulting in him taking up the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme held by his master, and becoming Earth’s primary defender against the supernatural forces which roam beyond normal reality.
Powers & Abilities: Sorcerer: Dr. Strange possesses a vast mastery of the mystic arts; his primary magical patrons are a group of entities known as “the Vishanti.” The Vishanti are a trinity of godly beings comprised of Agamotto, Hoggoth, and Oshtur. Although he has, on rare occasions, called upon the power of demons such as Dormammu; Strange more frequently did so before he realized Dormammu’s true dark nature in the earlier issues. He has once stated that he can kill a mortal with the mere twitch of a finger.
- Infinite Longevity/Fearlessness: Dr. Strange’s lifespan has been extended and his fear of dying subsided in a manner similar to that of his mentor the Ancient One, due to a successful contest against Death. Though he can still be killed and even physically wounded he cannot succumb to any medical diseases, nor does he age. However, he still requires food, water, oxygen, and sleep, same as a normal human. Strange passed a test by the Ancient One and defeated Death, or more accurately, accepted Death. As a result, from that moment forward, Doc stopped aging. “Death may come only from without, in battle– and not from within.” The Ancient One had once passed the same test himself and lived 600 years. From that moment forward, a glowing ankh appears on Doc’s forehead when he is in a situation of great danger and his death is imminent, “when Strange most needs a reaffirmation of life.
- Energy Blasts
- Mystic Bolts
- Astral Projection: Doctor Strange can release his astral form from his body, instantaneously and at will. In this form he does not need to breathe, eat, drink or sleep, is unrestricted by physical laws (for example, Strange has flown beyond Earth’s atmosphere, defying gravity with ease to speak with Iron Man), is invisible (though can be seen by any if he wished it so), intangible, and incapable of being harmed by all but the most powerful and rigorous of mystic means. As physical laws are meaningless on the astral plane, Strange is able to use it to traverse at virtually any speed desirable (Strange has reached to St. Louis, Missouri from his Sanctum Sanctorum in Greenwich Village, New York in “a few brief seconds” thus, as well as traveling at the “speed of thought” through outer space.)
- Banishment: Dr. Strange has banished many types of creatures and humans to other dimensions but the extent of this is only possible as long as the ‘Banish-ers’ magic is greater than that of the ‘Banish-ees’ magic during the banishment.
- Conjuring of Objects
- Transmutation: the ability to change one thing to another. He used spells in this case.’
- Telepathy: Dr. Strange can psychically communicate and read minds These abilities can be amplified by mystic energy (as against Moondragon) and/or the Eye of Agamotto (done countless times) to afford Stephen incredibly powerful psychic abilities.
- Flight: Doctor Strange can fly using magical energy but has since abandoned it. (Presumably choosing to rely on the Cape of Levitation instead.)
- Protective Shields: Using the being Seraphim, Dr. Strange can shield himself or his allies. Doctor Strange is so powerful that his energy shields can even protect him from the full power of a supernova (which he created)
- Intangibility: The ability of Invisibility or Near-Invisibility and Phasing through solid material.
- Time Manipulation: Strange has frozen, slowed, and traveled through time. This magic is enacted only through extreme concentration.
- Elemental Manipulation: Dr. Strange can manipulate and control the elemental forces.
- Dimensional Travel
- Universal Awareness: By performing mediation Dr. Strange has sensed anomalies in time and space allowing him to protect against time travelers, extra-dimensional invaders(Example: Dormammu, Nightmare), space aliens, etc.
- Various other spells: These spells seem to be quicker to perform but lesser in power than spells using divine energy. Strange has used his magics altogether to alter his clothing through something akin to minor molecular control, control and manipulate elements, etc.
- Dr. Strange has also been shown to amass as much wealth/gold as he desires using magic, as he has done to pay debts he owed.
The Words: Doctor Strange has become an expert in the Black Priests’s ability to use language to distort reality, becoming even more capable than the Black Priests themselves in a short amount of time. Each “word” is a symbol which means “something.” The addition of another symbol can change the meaning of that “something.” Doctor Strange stated this method to be akin to replacement cipher. This way, he can distort the reality in different ways, depending how many symbols are said and in which order. Some of the features achieved by the use of Words include:
- Energy Blasts
- Organic Disintegration
Divine Sources: Dr. Strange can channel the extra-dimensional energy of mystical and non-mystical beings in multiple dimensions (known as Principalities) to empower his spells. Darkness of the Divine Conduit (Black Magic): By sheer force of will “take” the power of another entity.
Zatanna (DC Comics):
Zatanna is a superhero and one of the greatest magic-users in the DC Universe. Daughter of the great magician Giovanni “John” Zatara and Sindella, a member of the mystical Homo Magi race. Zatanna is a direct descendant of the artist and magician Leonardo da Vinci, and is related to Nostradamus; Alessandro Cagliostro; the noted alchemists Nicholas Flamel and Evan Fulcanelli; and Lord Arion of Atlantis. The traditional method of spell-casting she uses involves speaking words and sentences backwards. In addition to her career as a hero, she is also a very notable stage performer. She has been a member of the Justice League of America, the Sentinels of Magic, and the Seven Soldiers.
Powers & Abilities:
- Magic: In order to use her magical abilities, Zatanna must speak her spells backwards. With this power, she can do almost anything with proper timing and training.
- Atmokinesis: Zatanna is able to utilize her backwards spells to manipulate the weather. She once changed rain into falling petals and changed the day cycle in Gotham from night to day, which she completely undid shortly afterwards.
- Dimensional Travel
- Disintegration: Zatanna can use her magic to completely disintegrate objects. She was able to make a Batwing suit disintegrate by saying “edolpxe”.
- Elemental Control
- Electro-Blast: Zatanna can use her magic to fire bolts of electricity out of her hands, usually by uttering something like “sdnah fo gninthgil”.
- Flight: Zatanna is able to walk on air, levitate or even fly. She can also give others the ability to do so, such as when she gave Batman the ability to walk on air.
- Force Field: Zatanna is able to create powerful force fields using her backwards talk to protect herself from supernatural threats such as the dark mists of Enchantress.
- Gravikinesis: Zatanna can control the gravitational pull of objects using her backwards spells. An example of this is when she uttered “teg yvaeh” on the robot Ascalon to make him fall through a floor. She can also decrease gravity in an area, allowing everybody within a certain vicinity of the spell to float upwards.
- Healing: Zatanna can completely heal a person of their physical injuries. An example of this is when she healed Batwoman after a traumatic fight with Azrael by simply saying “laeh”.
- Invisibility: Zatanna is able to turn herself and others completely invisible by uttering something like “nrut elbisivni”.
- Magical Awareness
- Molecular Reconstruction: Zatanna can use her backwards magic to alter the molecular structure of objects. An example of this is when she said “tius pu”, transforming Bruce Wayne’s tuxedo into a fully functioning Batsuit.
- Telekinesis: Using her backwards magic Zatanna is able to move objects with simply gestures, such as when she tied cables around Batman’s legs by saying “Dnib sih teef”. She has also burst pipes and created a telekinetic umbrella against the rain using her mind.
- Teleportation: Zatanna is able to use her backwards magic to teleport herself to anywhere on the globe. She can also teleport others alongside herself, such as when she teleported herself and Batman to her hotel room in Gotham.
- Driving: Zatanna has shown herself capable of driving a motorcycle.
- Escapology: In preparation for her role as a stage magician, Zatanna was taught how to escape from precarious situations without using magic. By the time she was in kindergarten Zatanna could already escape from a straitjacket while underwater.
- Lock Picking: Zatanna was taught how to pick locks by her father.
- Prestidigitation: Zatanna was taught sleight of hand by her father as part of her training to become a magician.
- Speech Dependency: Zatanna cannot initiate a spell without speaking it’s contents, if gagged or deprived of her ability to speak she cannot cast a spell.
Predicted Winner: Dr. Strange
Image courtesy of: darksouls1